Thursday 3 November 2011

A Sustained Effort


Recently I came across some passages in a wonderful book about the Spiritual Life called My Daily Bread by Antony J Paone that I found extremely encouraging.   

I've copied the passages below: 

Christ:
My child, do not be afraid nor discouraged at hearing my instructions about the way of perfection.  Pray for a burning desire to follow Me along this way.  Make a daily effort to do so.  Many people refuse even to consider such an effort.  Others make a half hearted attempt, but they turn away at the first sign of difficulty.  My loyal followers try again and again, in spite of repeated failures.  By their refusal to quit, they go far in the work of self-perfection.

Make your resolution to follow My example in your daily life.  Then do your best to fulfill the resolution. Do not judge your progress by your feelings, nor by visible signs.  Just purify your intention, concentrate on the virtue you need or desire and strive to eliminate all natural self-seeking.  How few are those who are really all for Me, those who try to please Me in all things simply because I deserve it.

True, this perfection is not reached in a day.  However, it will never be reached if you never start trying.  It is not easy to live entirely for Me, continually trying to control and direct your feelings and selfish desires for My sake.  I shall stand by you to guide and strengthen you.  Still, you will have to do your part.  Make every effort to guide your thinking throughout the day, so that you may not lose sight of Me in your various activities.  From time to time test your pure intention by contradicting your natural desires.



No comments:

Post a Comment